NCGA plans to lock school calendars

It should come as no surprise to anyone in NC education that the NCGA does not want teachers to visit Raleigh as a large group. Need some evidence?Look right here in this article: 

Budget language seems to block future teacher protests, school closings

If this passes, school districts will only be able to change their calendars based on a finite list of items. 

The proposal would lock school calendars in place at the beginning of the school year, forbidding local boards of education from changing them except in response to "a severe weather condition, energy shortage, utility failure, public health crisis, school safety crisis, emergency related to a school building or school transportation, or act of God." 

Don’t you love the use of the word *forbidding*? Personal leave will only be allowed if a sub can be found. I can’t even find a sub now when I’m sick. When Ron had his eye surgery, guess what? No sub. You know what else? Subs cancel at the last minute! Protests aside, what happens when I take my personal days for an important personal event, line up a sub, make my plans, and then the sub cancels? Like multiple other things this year, this is just a little too controlling for my tastes.

Comments

  1. I began my teaching career as a school librarian after age 35. It was an independent and empowered decision. This does sound controlling and not very empowering.
    Being a teacher librarian, though, comes with a mindset that encourages a strong sense of comradery. So...as long as we have our tribe, we are good. I can still be a librarian outside of schools. This always brings hope and joy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five TV Shows I Enjoy