Missing the morning sun

One of the things I love about summer is the long day. Don't get me wrong. I love nighttime too. But I absolutely LOVE getting up early in the morning and being greeted by the sun peeking through the windows. I love not having to turn on the lamps and or feel my way through the hall because no one else is up and it's too dark to see. I love walking up to school in the day light. That morning greeting is gone now, and I'm more than a bit sad about it.

Do you hear those screeching tires? It's summer coming to an abrupt halt. Gone is the more relaxed nature of summer, reading in my pajamas, and that second cup of coffee. Say hello to calendaring and meetings and the hectic pace of back to school.

Maybe I'm mourning. Maybe not. Maybe an overly busy summer just has be wishing for a little more of it.

Things I'll miss:

  • watching Ron read the paper by the window in the morning light. 
  • watermelon for breakfast.
  • watching the morning rain without thinking about my rain coat. 
  • starting a book in the morning knowing I'll have time to finish it before dinner.
  • time to enjoy a second cup of coffee.
Larger items at risk here without the morning sun. I'm about to have one of those landmark birthdays, and it's made me look at things a bit differently. That's a strange phenomenon for me. Birthdays come and go and I NEVER pause and take stock. Well, not until this one. This one has made me pause. Old pictures of strangers make me think about ta younger Griffin tribe. Long forgotten books lead me to consider what I felt the first time I read them. Planned activities make me wonder if they are really worth my time. My children and my grandchildren make me ponder what they'll become when I am no longer here to see. Oh my goodness! I've got to stop, or I'll cry. Life is just a vapor. Then poof it's gone.

I am blessed beyond measure. Nothing I say or think diminishes that. Just the ramblings as once again summer gets ready to hang out it's "Closed Until Next Year" sign.

Source: Pixabay.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five TV Shows I Enjoy

Changing denominations