Coming to grips with reality

wonder_womanSaturday, I went to see Wonder Woman with my oldest son. I know. I'm late to this game, but since most of you have already seen it . . . It was great, wasn't it!?! I didn't think about real life once during the movie!

Now you'd think, at this stage of my life, I'd know I'll never be Wonder Woman. But I still grapple with that little fact. I've got the drive, I've got energy, I've got ambition. I want to simultaneously fight for better education and funding for libraries while at the same time making my library a not-so-hidden paradise. But I had regular parents and lacked interference from Zeus, and this my friends, makes me a mere mortal. To top off that sweet little fact with a maraschino cherry, I'm at the wrong end of middle age. I can't do everything I'd like to do. OK, so that was never my reality, but now it's painfully obvious that doing everything I want is even more of a dream. Darn.

What is a mortal to do over the summer then? Well, first of all, I have to make some choices. I did not get to go to ALA or ISTE. I'm fighting the green-with-envy syndrome on that while watching all my friends from afar. But, last week I went to a great workshop for Clinical Teachers at UNCG.  Yes! I did use the term great and workshop in the same sentence. A shout out to Barry Barber and Evan Hill for making it an enjoyable experience along with lots of fabulous educators from other disciplines.

I am going to master the universe of an inventory allowed to lay barren for years. We obviously have our own little land of misfit toys, mmmm instructional materials, that I'll have to mount an expedition to find.

I am going to finish what I started last summer in this beautiful library home of mine. Want to see more about my library's transformation?

I've made more changes throughout the year and just been too busy to write about it. You know that old tyranny-of-the-urgent thing. But I plan to get some more updates written this summer.

Some other things on my have-to-do list:

  • Work on an OTES strategic plan with a team from UNCG. (Anthony Chow, Nina Smith, Amy Watterman)

  • Catalog a surprise batch of Title 1 books.

  • Come up with a conference theme for the 2018 NCSLMA conference. I think I'm close on that one.

  • Get conference speakers for the big events. 2/3 of the way there.

  • Open the library Tuesdays in July for students to check out.

  • Paint some chairs.

  • Nail down some quarter round.

  • Caulk more than a few places.

  • Work on a new IMPACT study for NC school libraries.

  • Not be totally bummed that the best principal known to man is moving to district to be an instructional superintendent.

  • go to the pool.

  • spend time with family and friends.

  • Move those last two to the top of the list.


Not too bad for a non-superhero. Now I'm off to fight for truth, justice, and school libraries!

Comments

  1. In my opinion you are definitely a "Wonder Woman". How you do all that you do without a super hero's special powers is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five TV Shows I Enjoy