Review: What I Saw and How I Lied

What I Saw and How I Lied
What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is a coming of age novel set right after WWII. The tone of the book is very much of the time period. It frequently reminded me of those old movies I watched as a kid. Evie spent the war living with her mother (Bev) and her step grandmother (Glad). Her stepfather (Joe) returns and life resumes a semi-nice rhythm. When Joe starts receiving mysterious phone calls, the family (minus Glad) take off for Florida. Not to sound terribly trite, but Evie learns that people are not always what they seem, that war makes some otherwise good people do terrible things, and that somethings in life just flat out remain a mystery. Hard lessons for us all.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five TV Shows I Enjoy

Changing denominations