Three cups of tea

ThreeCupsOfTea_BookCoverI downloaded Three Cups of Tea (from the NC Digital Library) to listen to on my drive back and forth to Winston.  So, it's good and positive. It seems extremely self-serving, but, call me Pollyanna, I do like to think there are people like that in the world with nothing on their agenda other than making the world a better place.

When I got home, I started doing some digging and the first thing I found is Jon Krakauer's Three Cups of Deceit. Oh my goodness, I could tell from the experts that this was not going to be good. Very disappointing. More digging; more disappointment. Everyone involved seems to be under indictment. The stories are at best a gross exaggeration or at worst, blatant lies.

So at first, I tried to listen to some more of the book and as good as the story is, I just can't finish it. Now I'm wondering what to do with the copies in my library. Of course, the advertiser in me thought about making a display called "Fact or Fiction" with this book at center. I'll have to think about that some more.

Comments

  1. The university where I work assigned as its common reading Mortenson's book. Then we brought him to campus to lecture and answer student-reader questions in front of a public audience. Then the scandal broke. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That was a quite a bit to live down I bet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five TV Shows I Enjoy

Changing denominations