My Evernote

I want to thank Lisa Jacobson-Brown @ Pearson for a review copy of this book.

First, Evernote is a nice little free app to help organize your life. It's easy to use and it syncs on all your devices. There is an online component so you can access it from any computer with Internet access.

Evernote is not difficult to use if are at all computer savvy. But when given the opportunity to look at the book, I thought it would be loaded with the things I couldn't figure out on my own. I'm not sure that's true, but I did learn some things from the book that saved me some digging around time in the Evernote Forum. This is a very slick book btw. The pages are thick and glossy. It's full of pictures and easy to use.

The book covers the very basics of downloading, making notes and editing them. I hadn't intended to use Evernote for anything but keeping myself organized across devices, but it's got potential to do more along the lines of word processing and publishing. You can add images, add bits of web material, make audio notes. Work is organized in notebooks and can be organized and reorganized. You can share notes with others. I did that a couple of Saturdays ago when I'd been taking notes for a meeting. I just emailed them to all the participants, and we all looked at the same digital page on what ever device was at hand.

A couple of things the book does very well: Really good tips about Evernote are noted in green boxes. Disappointing things about Evernote are noted in red boxes. On a personal note, I had an issue with spacing for a new font and size. The lines overlapped and not only was it illegible, it printed that way. Yuck. So I went to the book and couldn't find an answer. Couldn't find one on the forum either. Both may be that I didn't look in the right place or use the right search terms.

IMHO, this is a pricey book for a free app with an excellent blog and forum. If you aren't comfortable on the computer and want to try Evernote, this book will get you though the basics and into its advanced features step-by-step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five TV Shows I Enjoy