Oopsies - a bread substitute

These are called Oopsies.



I found the recipe online looking for a bread substitute and found these at Your Lighter Side. They were easy enough to make and pretty tasty. They are bun size and kind of like a medium firm meringue.

Basic Recipe:

  • 3 eggs separated

  • 3 ounces of cream cheese (not softened)

  • cream of tartar (1/8 tsp)

  • Pinch of salt

  • Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

  • greased baking sheet


Whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff in a bowl. Mix the other ingredients in another bowl. I used a blender for the other ingredients and then poured it over the whites to fold in.

Place large spoonfuls of the batter onto the baking sheet. This will make six bun-sized pieces. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes, then remove and place on a cooling rack.

I made the first batch following the recipe exactly except I didn't have any tartar and I substituted 1/4 tsp on baking powder.

Second batch, I wanted to find out if I could use plain yogurt (which I always have plenty of) instead of cream cheese (which I rarely have), so I plopped three heaping teaspoons into the blender with the egg yolks and salt and added some chile pepper powder. The second batch was just a good.

You can add whatever you want to the yolk mixture for flavor. You could add chocolate powder, instant coffee, splenda for sweet ones as well as any extract. You could add any herb or spice for savory ones. Lots of possibilities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five TV Shows I Enjoy

Changing denominations