Back to basics - Greek Yogurt

Periodically, I need to re-evaluate what I eat due to my migraines. I can't believe the junk I let slip in EVEN when I know it will hurt eventually, but I do.

I do much better on a gluten-free, processed food free diet. This time when I was honing my knowledge-set, I came across Greek yogurt.

From the About Yogurt site:
Why should  consumers choose yogurt with live and active cultures?

Researchers around the world are studying the potential attributes of live and active culture yogurt in preventing gastrointestinal infections, boosting the body's immune system, fighting certain types of cancer and preventing osteoporosis. More research must be done to establish a definitive link between live and active culture yogurt and these health effects, but the results to date are encouraging.

Additionally, the live and active cultures found in yogurt break down lactose in milk. This allows lactose intolerant individuals who commonly experience gastrointestinal discomfort when they consume milk products to eat yogurt and receive the nutrients contained in the milk product without the side effects of abdominal cramping, bloating and diarrhea.

To make sure you are getting the benefit of the live cultures, find a yogurt with this seal:

So I've tried a few brands and my favorite so far is Fage 2%. It's very thick and tasty. I've also been using it to make salad dressings.

Greek yogurt doesn't even look too terribly hard to make. May give it a try after the holidays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five TV Shows I Enjoy

Changing denominations