Repost about favorite books

I'm making some new pages and the process involves actually looking at some of my old posts, like this one:

From Inkspell


inkspellI just happened on Inkheart from Cornelia Funke several years ago. I reread it and am rereading Inkspell in anticipation of reading the last book in the series Inkdeath.

She is a vivid writer. You can tell she reads extensively and loves books herself.

Meggie, the young heroine, is trying to decide what books to take with her on an adventure. She’s looking in the book box that her father Mo has made her . . .
But her old friends, the books Meggie had already owned before they had moved in with Elinor, still lived in the box, and when she opened the heavy lid it was almost as if half-forgotten voices met her ears and familiar faces were looking at her. How well worn they all were . . . “Isn’t it odd how much fatter a book gets when you’ve read it several times?” Mo had said when, on Meggie’s last birthday, they were looking at all her dear old books again. “As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells . . . and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower . . both strange and familiar.”

So my question to you, do you have one or more favorite book/s of your youth or childhood? One that is that it is all the fatter – pages stuffed full of memories.

Comments

  1. The only favorite books I have from my childhood are the LotR trilogy. :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they did take a while to get through . . .

    But I also loved the Borrowers and Harriet the Spy and anything by Agatha Christie and The Once and Future King (and after that anything about Arthur or Merlin). I'm sure there were others. I was a self-made nerd. It was so much easier to keep my nose in a book than deal with the reality around me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a lot growing up, but those are the only ones that I have any sort of connection to still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have copies of Agatha, Harriet or the Borrowers any more - just memories of getting lost in them. I do still have LOTR and some of King Arthur - not the originals though.

    Many more new interests than old ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five TV Shows I Enjoy

Changing denominations